Friday 7 August 2015

Thirty-one species yesterday and 16 this morning in the trap. New for the year was a Copper Underwing. A visit to Dungeness paid off today after several weeks when my weekly visit has produced little of interest. On the ARC pit this morning there was a Wood Sandpiper, which was new for the year for me, plus 2 Green Sandpipers and a Common Sandpiper. Two Willow Warblers were heard around the Willow Trail and another 2 seen at the pines. A Great White Egret was seen from  Springfield Bridge. A Peregrine, 2 Common Buzzards and 3 or 4 Marsh Harriers were noted from the Galloways area. After lunch we tried the fishing boats but there were only a few terns offshore. However, as we trudged back to the car my friend picked up a Black Stork flying towards the power station from the west, obviously the bird that was reported over Hythe earlier in the day. It circled over the power station, where it was harried by gulls and a Peregrine, before heading off towards the RSPB Reserve. A Kent tick for me and British tick for my friend. We then visited the reserve where there were 2 Common Sandpipers, 2 Black-tailed Godwits, a Hobby, 2 Great White Egrets and 3 Little Egrets. Finally, in the Dennis hide there was an Oak Eggar, a moth I've not had in my garden. A good day at last.

Black Stork

 Willow Warbler

 Oak Eggar
  

No comments:

Post a Comment