Monday 4 May 2015

We've reached the end of another month and the garden moth trap continues to disappoint with only 16 species recorded so far this year, which compares to 34 by this time last year. I've just returned from a week in Cornwall where I ran the trap on a few nights in the garden of a cottage near Praze-an-Beeble. Here I was successful on the first night with 2 Shoulder Stripes, a species I don't get in the garden and was therefore new for me. Later in the week there was a Water Carpet, only the 2nd one I've trapped, with the previous also being in Cornwall. However, the mothing highlight of the week was using a pheromone lure on a gorse covered headland near Godrevy Lighthouse where I saw a total of around 10 Emperor Moths, which I'd never seen before.

Emperor Moth

 Shoulder Stripe

 Water Carpet
   

No comments:

Post a Comment