Friday 12 December 2014

Made a trip to Dunge yesterday. En route I had a look for the Great Grey Shrike at Chilham, which was showing well at about 08.45 but not close enough for photography during my brief stay. At Dunge we spent some time, in very windy conditions, looking through a large number of Gulls near the Fishing Boats but couldn't find any Caspians. However, a  Razorbill landing offshore was a year tick for me. On the reserve we noted 2 Great White Egrets on Burrows and the Tree Sparrows were on the feeder. The 2 Cattle Egrets were with the cows not far down the Dengemarsh Road and another Great White was a bit further down. Finally a drive over Walland Marsh produced 20+ Bewick's Swans and a lone Whooper which was my 200th species in the UK this year. A modest total but one I've not reached for a decade. On my recent Canadian trip American Three-toed Woodpeckers were easy to see and very approachable. However, they never stop moving in their search for food in low temperatures, which makes photographng them quite tricky.

American Three-toed Woodpecker

Tree Sparrow


 

No comments:

Post a Comment