Saturday 7 December 2013

Another Moth

There was a Winter Moth underneath the trap this morning. This species is not a regular in my garden, this being the 9th in 14 years and the first since January 2011. On Friday I paid a visit to Dunge in a gale. Sticking mainly to the hides we saw the usual Great White Egrets, Marsh Harriers, Black-necked Grebe, 2 Chiffchaffs and my first Smew of the winter. Two Peregrines hunting near the Dengemarsh road finished a better than expected day.
Winter Moth

 Great White Egret

 Marsh Harrier

3 comments:

  1. Hi Peter,
    I left a comment re. your Winter Moth but it somehow appeared in your last post.
    Donald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it had dark underwing and whilst I didn't measure it, it seemed small to me.

      Pete

      Delete
  2. It looks too pale for WM to my eye and it's holding its wings at a shallower angle. Also the hindwings project slightly beyond the forewings. If you catch another one like this its worth having a closer look.

    Donald

    ReplyDelete